Warren Conservation Commission - Public Open Space & Coastal Rights-of-way

2010 Hugh Cole Monument Rededication

(Top row) Warren Conservation Commission Vice-President David Weed begins the rededication ceremony by introducing Hugh Cole descendents Esther Campbell (Luther), Walter Nebiker, Dorothy O'Neil, Connie Dodson and Paul O'Neil.

(Middle row) Paul O'Neil looks at the new plaque as it's unveiled, and David Weed and Lombard Pozzi talks with Town Council President Dave Frerichs.

(Bottom row) David Weed congratulates local historian Walter Nebiker as Dorothy O'Neil talks with Commission Members Helen Hawkinson and Jane Harrison. The original plaque, placed in 1917, describes Hugh Cole as "an honorable and useful citizen of Plymouth Colony."

Click here for the story of Hugh Cole's journey from Plymouth in 1667 to land he purchased from Metacomet on the Coles River in Swansea and then moved after the King Philip War to the land he purchased in 1677 on which he dug the well. 

 Click here for a ten-minute video of the 2010 rededication event

Click here to see a Google satellite map of the closest parking to access this location on the bike path.

Click here to return to the Warren Conservation Commission Open Space Home Page.